Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Football: John Terry retired from international football

Antartika Raya. Former England captain John Terry has announced his retirement from international football with immediate effect.

Chelsea defender, who won 78-caps for his country, is scheduled to attend the FA on Monday for alleged racial abuse of QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

Terry cleared of charges by a court in London in July.

Terry, who lost the captain's armband on two separate occasions for off-field incidents, said the FA had made its' position with the national team can not be sustained. '

And the 31-year has now confirmed that he will not be available to represent England in their quest to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

In a statement, he said: "I am today announcing my retirement from international football.

"I would like to thank the British managers who have chosen me for my 78th cap.

"I have had great pleasure in sharing the honor with all the players I've played with.

"I want to thank them, the fans and my family for their support and encouragement during my international career.

"Representing and captain my country is what I dreamed of as a child and has been a really great honor.

"I always give my all and it breaks my heart to make this decision.

"I would like to wish Roy Hodgson and the team every success for the future.

"I make this statement today in advance of cargo FA disciplinary hearing because I feel the FA, in pursuing charges against me where I had been cleared in court of law, have made my position with the national team can not be sustained.

"I now look forward to playing for Chelsea FC, and challenging for domestic and European awards, and I want to thank the fans and the club for their support."

Terry made his England debut in 2003 against Serbia and Montenegro, and made permanent captain in 2008.

But his tenure as captain came to an ignominious end in February 2010 after he was revealed as the sportsman behind a gagging injunction involving his private life.

A previous court order was in place, including the alleged relationship between married Terry and French model Vanessa Perroncel - partner of former team-mate Wayne Bridge.

Terry was restored as captain by Fabio Capello on March 19, 2011 before losing the captain's armband once again after the alleged incident with Ferdinand during Chelsea's match at Queens Park Rangers last October.

The final match was Terry for England earlier this month when he played in a 5-0 victory over Moldova in Chisinau.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger